RARA-AVIS: Thanks for September to Mr. Robison

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 29 Sep 2006

September's almost over, and I want to thank Mr. Robison for being master of ceremonies for the month, looking at commentary and criticism of HB and noir. The reviews of NOIR FICTION by Paul Duncan, OVER MY DEAD BODY by Lee Server, THE BOYS IN THE BACK ROOM by Edmund Wilson, TOUGH GUY WRITERS OF THE THIRTIES by David Madden, and the others, were detailed and thought-provoking and make good guides for people wanting to go further into the background of the tough stuff.

Biographies and criticism have helped me learn a lot about this kind of writing: the writers, their times, the pulps and paperback originals, etc. It can be easy to be seduced a really good crime novel, because it's exciting and hard to put down, but the good ones--and we talk about a lot of good ones--deserve some deeper thinking. The books that Mr. Robison's talked about really help with that. If you're new to this stuff, grab one or two and dig in. You won't regret it.

The next step after that is talking about the ideas, and this month prompted some good discussions. Thanks, miker!

Bill
- William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional