Re: RARA-AVIS: THE DIME DETECTIVES, by Ron Goulart

From: Monte Herridge ( mherridge@ev1.net)
Date: 28 Sep 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < miker_zspider@yahoo.com>

<snip>
> The next female detective on the pulp scene was Sarah
> Watson, the creation of D. B. McCandless. Starting in
> 1936 and continuing through the following year, she
> appeared several times in Detective Fiction Weekly.
> Sarah was heavyset and middle aged. In 1937 Theodore
> Tinsley created the most successful female pulp
> detective, Carrie Cashin. She was sleek and beautiful
> and appeared in over 36 stories in Crime Busters
> through 1942. The stories were voyeuristic in nature,
> with her managing to lose a considerable amount of
> clothing in almost every story. Will Murray wrote of
> her, "The single most popular and promising character
> to appear in Crime Busters." In regular polls for
> story popularity in the magazine, Cashin stories
> always finished in the top three.

<snip>

> miker

I am working up series lists for Flynn's/Detective Fiction Weekly, and I have found some interesting series. As far as I can determine, Sarah Watson's first case was "You Stay Dead!", in the August 31, 1935 issue of DFW. So far, I have found a Watson story as late as the January 22, 1938 issue - "All in the Family". I have not finished going through my several hundred issues of DFW, and there are some issues I am missing. I might wind up finding more Watson stories than the seven I have identified.

Monte Herridge

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: