Re: RARA-AVIS: OVER MY DEAD BODY, by Lee Server

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Sep 2006

William Denton wrote:

Did O'Brien say that? Huh. HARDBOILED AMERICA was my introduction to hardboild and noir writing and though I don't go back to it often I have fond memories of it.

*************
"These images, originally designed to pulsate with life, have aged enough so that we are no longer likely to mistake them for part of the real world. The men and women frozen in such portentous tableau of fear and anguish and violence and desire are now more likely to evoke hearty laughter than the heavy breathing they solicited so strenuously when, newly created, they bared their passion on thousands of newsstands across America."

I think that O'Brien was portraying a generic impression of a contemporary public rather than his own opinion of them. The first part of O'Brien's book concentrates on the covers, but he eventually delves into the texts.

miker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: