Re: RARA-AVIS: Manhunt

From: ejgorman99@aol.com
Date: 28 Sep 2006

In a message dated 9/28/06 1:37:50 PM, jgertzma@earthlink.net writes:

> Does anyone know where I can find information on "Manhunt" magazine
> and/or where  there might be a library with holdings. I understand it
> was to the 1950s what "Black Mask" was to the 1920s. Is that so?
>
> ---
> I've heard varying versions of this particular story but I'm pretty sure
that the Scott Meredith literary agency, the giant agency of its time, played a large role in supplying Manhunt with stories from its own list of writers. The degree to which this is true varies from Scott Meredith sending them SOME stories to SM sending virtually ALL their stories. Whatever the truth, Manhunt's first seven years were spectacular, joining the best of the pre-war hardboiled writers with the best of the post-war ones including, Spillane, Chas. Williams, John D. MacDonald, Ross Macdonald, David Goodis, etc. Their final years were distinguished only by pieces by brand new generation writers such as Larwence Block and Daonald Westlake. It was certainly the equal of Black mask and maybe, for a two year run, even its better.

Ed Gorman

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: