RARA-AVIS: Gruber's Pulp Jungle

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 28 Sep 2006

I haven't read the book myself (which is a surprise even to me!), but it's considered a bit unreliable when it comes to other authors. Gruber was prejudiced against many and he may exaggerate his own importance. I've read some of his crime novels and Westerns and they've all been pretty good, but I don't think he'd be remembered so much, if he hadn't written PULP JUNGLE.

There are lots of interesting and entertaining pulp memoirs by many writers, such as E. Hoffmann Price, Hugh Cave, Richard Wormser, etc. I just heard that Western writer Bill Gulick recently published his own. There's also a pretty good, albeit shortish, memoir by another Westerneer, D.B. Newton, in the story collection BORN TO THE BRAND. Newton is rather hardboiled to me, so he's not off-topic. Check it out.

As for the pulps and other mags, I'm just finishing up Mike Ashley's second volume to his history of SF magazines, called TRANSFORMATIONS. It's highly recommended, even though you wouldn't be so much interested in science fiction. The first volume is also very, very good.

And still about the pulps, if you want to know everything there's really need to know about the hardboiled crime pulps, do read THE DIME DETECTIVES, by Ron Goulart. With Server's book I think that's the essential reading.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: