RARA-AVIS: Re: Mohr or less correct

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 27 Sep 2006

Mohr was a better Marlowe than Heflin, I think. Edgier and tougher. But the handful of Heflin shows that have survived are mainly adaptations of the Chandler novellas (Red Wind, Trouble is My Business, etc.) and more satisfying because of it. Only a couple of the Mohr's are adaptations. The others aren't very good scripts and offer too many early examples of product placement. "I tailed him past the Texaco station on the corner of Sunset and
..." The odd thing about the Marlowe and Spade shows is that the detectives switched personalities. Heflin, Mohr (and for one episode, William Conrad) were all-pro and deadly serious. Howard Duff's Spade, on the other hand, was tough enough, but there was a wiseguy element and sense of humor more reflective of the young Marlowe. As I've mentioned before on this list, I think the Spade show, starring Duff and written by Gil Doud and Bob Tallman, was the best radio had to offer. Too bad so many of the early episodes -- the ones adapted from Hammett's Continental Op novelettes -- are unavailable, as far as I can tell. If anybody knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.

Dick Lochte

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: