RARA-AVIS: Re: Mohr or less correct

From: briannthorntonn ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 26 Sep 2006

You know, it's funny, but although I thought that some of the scripts in Mohr's turn at the helm as Marlowe were sub-par, and Mohr could be a bit "jaunty" for the role sometimes (based on my reading of Chandler's works), when he had to be tough, he was pretty good for the part, and I'm thinking especially of the episode where he played Marlowe in "The King In Yellow" (adapted from the Chandler short of the same name), he really was terrific.

As for the Spade character, here's what the Radio Classics website
(excellent in places, spotty in others) has to say about it:

"Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade walked out of the pages of Black Mask and into his own CBS radio series of July 12, 1946. Howard Duff starred as the hardboiled detective for the first three seasons. Lurene Tuttle was Sam's secretary Effie Perrine and Jerry Hausner was his lawyer Sid Weiss. CBS dropped the series in 1950 when Hammett ran afoul of Congress' Un-American Activities investigators, but the show was quickly revived by NBC with Steven Dunne cast as a younger-sounding Sam. Tuttle and Spier reprised their roles."

I enjoy that site immensely, by the way. It's great to pick something out and listen to it while I'm working on other stuff around the house.

Change of subject (briefly) if I may:

For those of you who filled out the questionaire I put to the list for information that I could use in my Bouchercon panel this coming Saturday at 1PM, many thanks, especially Karin, Kerry, and Doherty. I really appreciate the time you took, and the thoughtful answers you gave.

And for those of you traveling to Bouchercon long distances (Guthrie) or short ones (Doherty), safe journey, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you and saying hello.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@...> wrote:

> I ran across an obituary for actor Gerald Mohr, who died in 1968.
Among the
> tidbits of information therein provided was this: "He was for
several years
> the voice of private eye Philip Marlowe in 'The Advenutres [sic] of
Philip
> Marlowe' (this Dashiell Hammett character has probably been
portrayed on
> various media by more actors than any other private eye)."
>
> It makes me wonder how many actors have portrayed Raymond Chandler's
Sam
> Spade.
>
> Jim Beaver

<*> Your email settings: