RARA-AVIS: Query for the giant brains at Rara-Avis

From: mburch5717 ( mburch5717@AOL.com)
Date: 25 Sep 2006

As a relatively new member of the group I've got to say I'm pretty dazzled by the sophistication of discussion that takes place here. As a life-long reader, one-time English major, and long-time fan of the hard-boiled and noir genres I've found more good sense, real knowldege (on a wide variety of subjects) and just plain fun here than in any other forum I can recall for many, many years.

Now, as others have before me, I have a question for the enormous hive brain at Rara-Avis:

Some years ago -- don't ask me how many -- I read a review in the New York Times Book Review (also can't remember if it was a stand alone review or one of the items in Marilyn Stasso's (sp?) mysteries column) about a novel written by an Englishman (I believe) about a veteran of World War I trench warfare who returns to England essentially unhinged by the horrors at the front. His life as a soldier has pushed him over the edge and he becomes a serial killer of sorts dispatching his victims in a particularly gruesome manner
(was it with a shovel?).

Does anyone here happen to know the title and author this book? I realize this is not strictly a question dealing with hardboiled or noir but as I mentioned earlier I'm frequently amazed at the depth of knowledge displayed on mystery and thriller writing in general that is evidenced on this site.

I'd appreciate any help or leads that anyone could give me to help find an answer to this nagging and vexing question.

Thanks one and all.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: