RARA-AVIS: Gary's new book and Smonk

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Sep 2006

Gary wrote:

I have another book coming out next week called Read
'Em Their Writes: A Handbook for Mystery and Crime Fiction Book Discussions
(http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/LU3039.aspx). My theory in this book is that hard-boiled books make better books to discuss than cozies, so I may not survive Bouchercon next week. Wish me luck.

************ Congratulations on the new book, Gary! It sounds like a winner. Speaking of books by list members, the wife and I went up to Indianapolis for a short time today and I found a new used bookstore. I noticed books by Terrill Lankford, Bill Crider, and Ed Gorman.

And speaking of books, I got Tom Franklin's Smonk in the mail today. I read a few pages of it at the bookstore last weekend and had to have it, but not at those prices. I became a Franklin fan a while back when I read his book of short stories (I don't like short stories) called Poachers and was very impressed with them. Poachers is about some rough characters in the Gulf Coast backwaters. They were probably as good as the Pancake's stories.

miker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: