RARA-AVIS: Henry Kane

From: Gary ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 23 Sep 2006

Henry Kane Posted by: "Mark Francis" mingus2225@yahoo.com mingus2225 Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:03 pm (PST) Just finished Mask for Murder (aka Laughter Came Screaming) by this seemingly prolific author, and was wondering about his other work, what people would recommend and any worth avoiding. I was not familiar with him at all (name sure sounds like a pseudonym) and just picked it up based on the plot description - and lurid cover art/blurb, I'll admit.

Kane was a New York attorney who wrote under a number of names including Anthony Mccall, Kenneth R. Mckay, Mario J. Sagola, Katherine Stapleton, Ellery Queen, Anthony McCall, and Kenneth R. McKay from 1950 until 1972.

I am most familiar with Peter Chambers, the "private richard" created by Kane. The early Chambers are very much in the style of the dilettante writing of S. S. Van Dine, then they become more in the style of the hard-boiled period of the 40s & 50s, then they descend into soft core porn for the 60s. My favorites are: A Corpse for Christmas (The Deadly Doll), 1951, Chambers #5 My Business is Murder, 1954, Chambers #7 The Case of the Murdered Madame (Triple Terror), 1955, Chambers #9

Kane had books featuring Marla Trent, one of the early female P. I.s.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://my.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html Author of MAKE MINE A MYSTERY and A READERS GUIDE TO THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)