RARA-AVIS: Henry Kane

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Sep 2006

Henry Kane started out publishing in hardback, with reprints by Dell, in the old mapback editions. He went on to write paperback originals for just about every publisher around. Anthony Boucher liked his private-eye novels about Pete Chambers. I've read a few that I enjoyed, and a few that I didn't. Probably my favorite is TOO FRENCH AND TOO DEADLY, which, if I'm remembering correctly, is both a p.i. novel and a locked-room mystery. Kane also did some standalones and at least one book about a female p.i. named Marla Trent (PRIVATE EYEFUL). Toward the end of his career, he was reduced to putting Pete Chambers into some sleazy soft-porn titles like THE SCHACK JOB for Lancer Books.

Bill Crider

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: