Re: RARA-AVIS: Period "Based-on-Fact" Crime Movies

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Sep 2006

Variety says that LONELY HEARTS is awaiting theatrical release, but doesn't provide any specific dates. The paper gave it a positive review when it first debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival in May, calling it an
"accomplished period piece" and "a riveting thriller." Their critic notes Salma Hayek's difference in appearance from Martha Beck and the two actresses who played her in earlier films, and indicates that the conception of the character has changed as a result. He also thinks she's the best thing in the movie, embodying "the ultimate femme fatale redeemed by no discernable tragic flaw." Raising the question of whether a tragic flaw is a requirement for femme fatale status.

There's a solid trailer up at the film's website:

http://www.millenniumfilms.com/lonelyhearts/

I'm with Mark on HONEYMOON KILLERS and DEEP CRIMSON. They're both very good movies. Still, I'll definitely keep an eye out for LONELY HEARTS.

Vince

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional