RARA-AVIS: Ellroy Wants Everyone to Shut Up About His Mom...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2006

... but not quite yet.

Just caught this in the local paper. After years of shamelessly using his mother's rape and murder and tales of his allegedly wild youth to promote his career, Ellroy evidently now gripes that "Every single (expletive, probably "fucking") story written about me includes my mother and the Dahlia and has to stop."

He, of course, said this at a press conference to promote the new film based on his book. He also took the time to announce he'll be doing a series of readings from the book in the LA area, and that a TV special about Ellroy and his mother's murder and tales of his allegedly wild youth will air in October or November. But after that
-- and the film has presumably run its course -- he definitely doesn't want anyone to talk about it.

Yep, it really sounds like he wants it all behind him. I wonder if he'll change his mind, just in time for the inevitable DVD release.

By the way, nothwithstanding their past triumphs, given their latest less-than-stellar self-indulgent offerings over the last decade or so
(FEMME FATALE? THE COLD SIX THOUSAND?), does the combo of De Palma and Ellroy and all that ego strike anyone else with trepidation?

And it sure doesn't help having Josh Hairnett expounding on the true definition of noir. ("It's like, the French word for black, ya know?")

Maybe I'm just grumpy, but I don't even like the poster. Although it's well-done, graphically, it's sorta tasteless and makes the film look more like something from the horror movie camp than a crime film.

I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised, but we'll see.

Kevin Burton Smith http://www.thrillingdetective.com Issue #40 is now up... You've been warned.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: