Re: Fwd: RARA-AVIS: George's Charles Williams and Lionel White

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 12 Sep 2006

This was the basis for the Westlake novel JIMMY THE KID and it came about in rather a convoluted way, the details of which I am rather fuzzy on and the archives of the six year old Rara exchange is only a bit helpful. The book with Westlake's article is in a box somewhere and not available for a consult. As I understand it, Westlake was hired to do a script based on the incident (criminals using a novel to plan a real crime) but the movie was never produced. He later used the material in the novel.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
> "Checking the RARA files, I found an exchange I had with Juri back
in
> 2000 and the White novel (and basis of the movie) THE SNATCHERS was
the
> one Westlake wrote the non-fiction piece about some European crooks
who
> used it as a guidebook for a real life crime--the kidnapping of a
child
> from the Peugeot family. They ran into problems and were caught when
> they ran out of book to follow."
>
> Was that the basis of Westlake's novel Jimmy the Kid, which
alternates
> chapters of a Richard Stark book of Parker kidnapping a kid (never
> believed Parker would involve himself in something as unpredictable,
> with long term vulnerability, as a kidnapping) and the Dortmunder
Gang
> trying to imitate it, but screwing up?
>
> Also, there have been several real life European bank heists based
on
> Robert Pollack's Loophole.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional