Re: RARA-AVIS: NOIR FICTION, by Paul Duncan

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 12 Sep 2006

I picked up Duncan's book when I lived in Belgium and made regular trips to London and always visited Murder One. It was part of a series called Pocket Essentials Literature with each volume running to slightly less than 100 pages. Duncan also wrote books on Kubrick and Hitchcock for the same series. I echo Miker's praise and also can highly recommend a book he edited THE THIRD DEGREE: CRIME WRITERS IN CONVERSATION, published by No Exit.

Duncan was for some years a member of this group. He has for years been working on a biography of Gerald Kersh, an unjustly neglected writer, and for Crippen & Landru in 2003 edited the collection of Kersh stories featuring his character Karmesin.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Ed Lynskey <e_lynskey@...> wrote:

> --- Michael Robison <miker_zspider@...> wrote:
> > When I first discovered noir fiction, I was both
> > repelled and attracted by the tragic stories. Looking
> > for some direction for other noir novels to read and
> > opinions on their significance, I was lucky to find
> > Paul Duncan's book on the subject. This slim volume
> > contains a wealth of information on noir writers,
> > along with a definition and brief history of the
> > genre. The huge number of noir novels cited is a boon
> > for the initiate reader, especially the ones that
> > stray from the standard fare.
>

> Thanks for the great overview. I'll look for Duncan's book now.
>

> Ed Lynskey

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: