RARA-AVIS: Re: George's Charles Williams and Lionel White

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 12 Sep 2006

I thought The Snatchers was Lionel White's weakest Gold Medal effort, and I didn't really care for the movie, either, though Richard Boone did do his best to save it. Hubert Cornfield also directed Lure of the Swamp based on Gil Brewer's Hell's Our Destination -- not a great adaptation, though Leo Gordon and Jack Elam are good. The best Hubert Cornfield movie is Plunder Road (1957). Song and dance men, you know, make great tough guys (in this case Gene Raymond).

And yeah, The Big Caper is Robert Stevens! He did a lot of TV work: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Twilight Zone, and Playhouse 90. Now there is some real, old school noir.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
<juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

> George T:
>
> > Charles Williams-I am not crazy about The Hot Spot, Dead Calm,
> > or The
> > Third Voice, either, in case anyone is curious.
>
> And:
>
> > Lionel White--The Killing is the best, but The Big Caper is
> > really,
> > really good.
>
> You've seen some pretty obscure films here. I only know a guy
> who's seen THE THIRD VOICE (it was banned in Finland, by the way)
> and he says it's the best film the director - isn't it Hubert
> Cornfield? - ever made.
>
> As for THE BIG CAPER, isn't it by the same guy who made lots of
> Disney movies later on? Robert Stevenson? (Or Stevens?)
>
> Juri

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: