Re: RARA-AVIS: The films based on Charles Williams

From: Paul Farrell ( pmf_nz@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: 11 Sep 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Debierue" <matrxtech@...> wrote:

> Excellent film and recreation. The cinematographer did a sensational
> job, in my opinion. On the level of Burks, I would say. I do remember
> that the film half-bombed, but it is shown frequently on cable
> television and definitely deserves the attention. It's a great story,
> of course.
>
> Best,
>
> MrT

I'm another fan of THE HOT SPOT. Great style and acting. Don Johnson at his smirky best.

The film goes on a little too long to really be suspenseful enough, but it's obviously made with an eye to what made the original noir movies in this style work so well - atmosphere and characters.

The film credits (IIRC) both Charles Williams and another writer for the script. Given that Williams had been dead for some years when THE HOT SPOT was made, I wonder if it's made from a re-written Williams script. Unless they're crediting him for the dialogue - I'm not sure, as I haven't seen the original novel (HELL HATH NO FURY).

Paul

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: