Re: RARA-AVIS: HOLLYWOODLAND

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 11 Sep 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: < BaxDeal@aol.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 11:37 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: HOLLYWOODLAND>
> couldn't disagree with you more, Jack. saw an advance screening a week
> ago
> and have been haunted by it to this day. terrific performances by fine
> actors playing tragic characters. and it very much captures the pitiless
> nature
> of "Hollywood" the idea, and how it chews up and spits out people's
> dreams. I
> found it a terrific and organic blend of Chinatown and Sunset Boulevard,
> two
> of my favorite films. they do present 3 theories, in a linear fashion,
> as
> the fictional detective considers them. but in deciding which theory the
> hero
> believes, and it is clear in the storytelling which one this is, is where
> the
> ultimate tragedy lies and what gives the film its power
>
> John Lau

I'm biased, because I've been working on what I hope will be the definitive biography of George Reeves for many years, and because I was the historical consultant on this film. But while I don't think it's a great film, I think it's a very, very good one. And I think so for the very reasons you cite.

Jim Beaver

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: