Re: RARA-AVIS: Hoboes: Fred MacIsaac and Martin Goldsmith

From: david david ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Sep 2006

Detour is a good one to bring up. Even though the protagonist is hitchhiking across country, he is doing it to save on travel expenses, and has LA & a fiance as a destination. He doesn't qualify as a hobo until after he meets his fate, but it is that condition that frames the narrative (told in classic noir flashback)--but Vera, the femme fatale, is hitching too, with no clear destination, and an unknown past. She's a hobo until the extremely bitter end. I haven't read the novel either (has anyone out there?), but i heard the film followed it closely. Are there other examples of female hobo noir characters? And Juri, you've got to see that film. It has to be the best noir shot in a week on an under 50 thousand budget. Ulmer makes it work, and Ann Savage's performance is um...savage!

--- juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi wrote:

> These came to mind:
>
> Rambler Murphy in Fred MacIsaac's pulp stories is
> something of a hobo. He's a
> journalist wandering around, as his nickname
> suggests, and he stops by cities
> to make big news items and articles. Once he's done,
> he leaves for another
> city. The stories appeared in Dime Detective in
> 1933-1940. There ought to be a
> collection of them.
>
> Does Martin Goldsmith's DETOUR count as a hobo
> story? I haven't read it (nor
> seen the film (!)), but there's plenty of
> hitch-hiking in there.
>
> Juri

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional