RARA-AVIS: Wartime UK publishing

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 10 Sep 2006

John:

"I need some information on the effects of WW2 on British publishing. Not just paper shortages etc, but loss of staff (through bombing, being called up, lost in action etc), actual loss and damage to publishers stock, buildings etc, effects on authors and availability of new manuscripts. Basically the effects of the war on the daily running of a publishing house (in London)during wartime. Does anyone know of any books, articles etc which could help me?"

I'm sure you've read Steve Holland's books, VULTURES OF THE VOID, THE MUSHROOM JUNGLE and his excellent Stephen Frances bio, THE TRIALS OF HANK JANSON? If you haven't, check them out immediately. (Except that the first one is virtually unavailable.)

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: