Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Marxism

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 08 Sep 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <johnwilliams@...> wrote:

 ...the only reason I can see to go into territory that
> doesn't speak to your personal obsessions/interests/world view is if
> you're writing purely in the hope of pleasing a market, in which case
> you're a hack (there are of course plenty of very good hacks who
cater
> for a market very skilfully - they're just not in the business of
> writing literature).

Of course a writer may study a market carefully, even rewriting some of the published stories, all in the hope of selling one of his own to the editor. That was the way Raymond Chandler did it. Was he "purely" hoping to please a market? Maybe not but I don't think that matters very much. If you are a Chandler a bit of literature might result even if the motivation is the grocery bill.

Richard Moore (riding an admittedly not very tall pony)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)