Re: RARA-AVIS: Detective Agency, by Walton and Jones

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 07 Sep 2006

Thank you, Mike, for summarizing that stuff so I don't have to read it. I'm a feminist, but I'd much rather read a real detective story--even by an old-fashioned man--than postmodern analysis of anything. Detective Agency is a good title, though. Walton and Jones deserve points for that.

That the literature of the hardboiled female detective invokes feminist themes seems fairly obvious to me. Strong women making their way in a man's world, for starters. Then there are the issues that Paretsky among others addresses: woman battering, female poverty, prostitution and so on. (What you referred to as "feminine issues"--your word or theirs?) Among those that deny it, there may be a certain amount of resistance to the word feminist. Apparently most young women don't relate to it all. Cause not only are we in a postmodern world, we're in a postfeminist world--or so it's said.

I was wondering about that date you gave for VI Warshawski. I kind of remember discovering her around the same time as Kinsey Milhone. Well spotted, Kevin.

Karin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: