Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Marxism

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 07 Sep 2006

Fine. It's not my intention to try anybody's patience.

Just a final thought or two, then: it is possible, surely, that some crime novelists -- British or otherwise -- are, indeed, hacks. I've certainly described myself as such on many occasions. It's possible, too, that I don't write literature (wouldn't be the first time I've heard that and I'm sure it won't be the last). I write because I enjoy telling stories and entertaining people (hopefully), not because I have something to say or because there's something I want to discover (other than fundamentals, such as what character X is going to do next, why he's going to do it, and how he feels about it). My real-life worldview is extremely grim, depressing, negative; I did write a novel like that between my second and third books and I completely take the 'blame' for the worldview in that book for the simple reason that it's mine. Unsurprisingly, everybody who read it hated that particular effort with a passion so it'll never be published. As a result, I now try to write books tha
 t have at least a remote chance of selling a few copies, so even if there is some kind of fictional authorial worldview in one of my character-specific narratives (I'm always happy to admit that I could be wrong -- an opinion is neither right or wrong by definition and I'm merely expressing mine), it's a lot different to the real-life authorial worldview.

'Nuff from me.

Al