Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Marxism

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 07 Sep 2006

In the exclusive context of closed narratives, the worldviews presented are those of the point-of-view characters. Otherwise, they're not point-of-view characters. If a reader sees beyond the sensory experiences/opinions, etc., of the closed narrator, then the reader is interpreting. Which is part of the fun of reading, of course. However, I'd suggest that reader's interpretations are not pertinent to the original question, which specifically addressed the author's worldview ('can you think of many authors whose worldviews are inconsistent throughout their output?').

If we're talking omniscient narrators, then that's a whole different ball game.

Al