RARA-AVIS: Call for submissions

From: Racerick75@aol.com
Date: 06 Sep 2006

Barbadoes Hall Communications, the parent company of my Back Alley Books fiction imprint, is starting work on a nonfiction title we hope to release sometime in 2007, and I am issuing a call for submissions.
  The book has two working titles. It will either be entitled THE STUFF THAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF, or YOU'LL TAKE IT AND YOU'LL LIKE IT, with the subtitle 'Musings on the Private Detective in American Hardboiled/Noir Literature'
  I will be writing one of the entries for this book, outlining my view of some of the history behind the private eye novel. I am looking for varied voices and differing opinions. Specifically, I am looking for essays between 4000 and 8000 words in length, dealing with any INFORMED aspect of private eye and noir fiction, with the focus on the private detective. I would like to obtain a mix of authors - both published private eye novelists and short-story writers, and well-informed aficionados.
  For instance, I would love to get a submission featuring a dialogue between Jim Doherty and Kerry Schooley, taking their usual stances on hardboiled versus noir.
  I would like to see historical perspectives, sociological perspectives, overviews of foreign PI works, essays on the evolution of the PI from the Black Mask days to the 21st century, the impact of technology on the PI novel - basically anything that helps to illuminate the role of the private detective in both literature and culture.
  I will be editing this book, and selecting articles to be included. There will be compensation for selected essays - real money, not just tee shirts and the like. I will be buying essays outright. The compensation won't be huge - only one or two cents a word, so don't quit your day job - but will represent a professional pub credit. In addition, this book will be submitted for the usual award programs, including the Edgar Awards. Each essayist selected will receive copies of the book, and there will be opportunities to promote the book at the various conferences. This book, like all Barbadoes Hall Communications titles, will be submitted to the professional literary review journals.
  I will be posting a notice regarding this call for submissions shortly at the Barbadoes Hall Communications website. In the interim, if you have something polished and ready to go, you may send it to me at BarHallCom@aol.com . Please include your name, how to contact you, any professional writing credits or award nominations, and a brief note explaining how you think your submission will enhance this project.
  In my estimation, Rara-Avis includes some of the best-informed lay experts on the hardboiled and noir movement in the world, and I would love to see any and all submissions you would like to send along.
  Many thanks!- R
  Richard Helms Three-Time Shamus Award Nominee CORDITE WINE (0-9710159-6-1), the second Eamon Gold PI novel, from Back Alley Books! website: http://richardhelms.net
"Cordite Wine is tough, funny, exciting, and very good!" -Robert B. Parker
________________________________________________________________________ Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/WktRrD/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional