RARA-AVIS: Re: Hammett's Marxism

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Sep 2006

Juri,

Re your commetns below:

"Jim Doherty points out that there are several hard-boiled authors that are very anti-Leftist: Spillane, Prather, Warren Murphy. Jim probably kicks my butt for saying this, but even though I like some of Spillane, Prather and Murphy, I don't find them very humane writers. Spillane is quite far from humane and something I'd call understanding of human reactions, and Prather, while very funny at his best, is not really interested in real people's actions."

You seem to think that I'm arguing in favor of a particular viewpoint. I'm not. I'm arguing against the notion that hard-boiled is inherently leftist, and suggested the first three writers who came to mind who were famously NON-leftists as evidence of this.

You also seem to be suggesting (though I could drawing a mistaken inference) that to be anti-Marxist is to be inhumane. I reject this notion completely and utterly.

JIM DOHERTY