Re: RARA-AVIS: Lassie's social assumptions and other stuff

From: Michael Robison (
Date: 05 Sep 2006

Allan Guthrie wrote:

To make the claim that they are also those of the author may or may not be true but I don't see how a reader can tell simply from the text.

*************** Personally, I prefer to talk about what a book says, and pretty much avoid discussing what the author is trying to say. The first concerns my interpretation of the book, something I can reliably talk about. The second is making guesses about the authors thinking. I prefer the first.

This is significant. If I see homosexual themes in Chandler's work, then I see homosexual themes in Chandler's work. The other way, I'm suggesting that Chandler is homosexual. There is a world of difference.