RARA-AVIS: Splitting it up

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Sep 2006

As I pondered the subject of hardboiled and noir criticism over the last few months, I found it separating itself out into two overlapping topics. The first is a discussion of existing criticism, the second an examination of the literary theory that the criticism is based upon. Concerning existing hardboiled criticism, I've written a few short reviews of some of the hardboiled criticism that I've read. Some of those suggest subtopics for discussion, so I put together questions on some of them. None of the questions require a reading of the reviewed book. This whole question-type format strikes me as kind of sophmoric and pretty much below the level of rara-avis, but I did it anyway.

Although I was initially concerned that the second category, a discussion of the literary theory, was too generic and artsy for rara-avis, I have been proven wrong several times here recently. What does it take to make a text literature? What is the purpose of literature? What should literary criticism concern itself with? All of these questions concerning literary theory have popped up in the last couple months and several people expressed interest and voiced their opinion. One of the subjects that constantly comes up in criticism is the various tools and techniques that a writer uses to do the deed, things like sense of place, objective realism, time-shifting, weather, ambiguity, motifs, technology, and symbolism. I've put together several questions concerning these writers' tools. The same goes for various recurrent themes in hardboiled and noir, such as alienation, vigilantism, violence, and ordeal.

Tomorrow I'll post a review of one of my favorite hardboiled criticism books, Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties, editted by Madden and published in 1968.

miker