RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and noir commentary and criticism

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2006

Thank you for the intro, Bill.

Several years ago most of my reading was limited to what I could find in two small bookstores in Bloomington, with the occasional foray to a used bookstore or thrift store. For two reasons, my reading choices changed drastically almost overnight. The first was my discovery of rara-avis. A whole new reading experience opened up, with the members discussing and recommending books and authors that I was only vaguely familiar with, such as Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, and others I'd never heard of at all, such as Charles Williams and Edward Anderson. The second reason was the growing internet book market, especially in used and long out-of-print books, which gave me access to almost any title with just a credit card and a few keystrokes. I read almost exclusively within the hardboiled and noir genres for several years. Beyond the many hours of entertainment, through the vicarious experience of reading, I have lived a hundred lives outside mine. Bill Denton has given me the honor of hosting a month on hardboiled and noir criticism and commentary. Please join in with your comments on books and essays on hardboiled criticism, your thoughts on the purpose of literature, and your ideas about what literary criticism should be.

miker