RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Hey Al,
>
> I recently read a column* that mentioned a guy who severely beat a
black
> man with an aluminum baseball bat after greeting him with a racial
> epithet (then claimed he was just using the word as a friendly
greeting,
> like it's used in rap songs, so it wasn't a hate crime). Made me
wonder
> -- have Scottish enforcers moved on to aluminum or do they prefer the
> feel of good wood?
>
> Mark

I would think an aluminum (or in Scotland, I suppose it would be aluminium) baseball bat would be deadlier than a wooden bat. But wood still gets the job done and not just in the form of a baseball bat. If we ever run into each other at a convention, remind me to tell you the story of my Great Aunt Minnie who killed a neighbor with a broom handle.

By the way, I will be in Madison for the Bouchercon and am on a panel that will discuss Mickey Spillane. Jim Doherty is another member of our group on the panel. I'm about to reread ONE LONELY NIGHT, which was one of my favorite Spillane's and I picked up a copy of one of the last Mike Hammer novels BLACK ALLEY to read for the first time.

Hope to see some of you there.

Richard Moore