RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

Even I, who had been a Bruen fan for a while when
> they first came out, was disappointed when I finished The White
Arrest.
> It wasn't until I read all three and got to know the characters, the
> rhythms and threads of their ongoing lives, that I really started
seeing
> how good they were.
> Mark

Interesting to hear, Mark, because the only Bruen novel I've read is THE WHITE ARREST and I hated it. The thought of reading two more novels featuring "rhythms and threads" of the ongoing lives of characters I found extremely tiresome and without a shred of believability to them was laughable. Five or six years have passed and I've read reams of praise for Bruen since, especially on this list, and maybe I should give him another go. But it won't be the rest of this trilogy. I don't care to plough through two more novels just to get started on seeing how good the characters are. There are too many other, more promising, books to read and never enough time to read them.

For example, I picked up WINTER'S BONE by Daniel Woodrell (Little, Brown 2006) after reading a review by Tom Nolan in the Wall Street Journal. It looks to be a fine piece of southern noir.

Richard Moore