Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 01 Sep 2006

My ideal reading is to engage the reader for three or four hours by sucking them into a world they believe in (which doesn't mean it has to be realistic; I don't think mine is)that's populated with characters they engage with (which doesn't mean the reader has to like them; most of the time, there's little chance of that). I don't have an intended meaning so I can't hope that the reader's understanding will be close to it. Unless you mean at a very basic line-by-line level. I write from character-specific points of view, so whilst I have to admit that it's impossible for me, the author, to escape the bars of my own ideological prison cell, I strive to keep 'me' out of it and endeavour to create the convincing lie (which is all it can be) that each character telling the story is doing so from their own private cell. Any meaning derived from the ensuing narrative is up to the reader. I know the characters I write about, but I don't judge them. They judge each other plenty, of c
 ourse. I'm sure they would hope that their intended meaning came across. If they were self-aware.

Al