Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: david david ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Aug 2006

thanks Mark. I look forward to reading Bruen. I recognize that there are different forms of nonsense/absurdity/randomness--supernatural, surreal, the "aburdity of real life" (Willeford sometimes seems that way), and even the postmodern form (Bartheleme, for one). To paraphrase that Wilde quote: it's not whether or not writing is absurd, it's whether or not the absurd writing is good.

But i also agree with your & Kevin's point that contrivance is usually indicative of laziness. When i read a plot element that seems annoyingly contrived, i tend to wonder if it felt that way to the author. i.e. is artificial writing a willingness to settle for a contrivance or is it an inability to sniff out one's own b.s.?