Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2006

At 08:56 PM 29/08/2006 +0100, you wrote:

>I honestly don't think writers (particularly those writing from
>character-specific points of view) do a lot of instructing, intentionally
>or otherwise. More likely, readers do a lot of interpreting.

Sure, both. Protagonists have objectives. Readers identify with the protagonist. Achieving the objective involves overcoming impediments, usually represented by an antagonist. Conflict is inherent in western story-telling. That implies values and morals.

> The reader may interpret a moral message from a story, but it certainly
> doesn't mean that the author intended it.

The author's intentions, on this level, are irrelevant.

> That's even assuming that the author's in agreement with his
> point-of-view character's worldview, which is often not the case.

No, it isn't. You give a character a gun. The assumed value shared between the author and the reader, is that the gun can shoot, might be used to achieve certain objectives. You, the author, might not agree with the use of the gun, or the objectives your character might use it to achieve, but readers might reasonably assume that the gun in the hands of the character will have some purpose or value. Of course, they may be wrong. The gun may jam, suggesting the gun is not reliable in sorting out these objectives. Or a number of other things might happen that readers might interpret while the author only intended to show that the character was armed and dangerous
(dangerous- isn't that a moral evaluation?) But if one of the characters in your book suddenly spurt blood and fall to the ground, and no gun is introduced, no explanation or interpretation is given to these events, the reader might conclude that the story has no meaning.

To some extent this may be the curse of a communicative species- but all actions, imagined or sensed, imply values. This is certainly the curse of a judgemental species. And, of course, I'm interpreting "moral value" broadly as well, but I think that's possible to do.

True, the noir genre may be used to express a world of random acts without moral value, but for a species obsessed with right and wrong, with what works and what does not, how and why, that is also a moral vision. Not moral "good", but moral as in involving moral issues.

Anyway, that's my poison. Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com