RE: RARA-AVIS: The undependable narrator / 1st person POV

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2006

Steve wrote:

Oh, I'm with you there, Miker. If the author is deliberately misleading ONLY to play an Ace up the sleeve later as a great "reveal", then something is certainly wrong.

*********** Yes! That's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking specifically of Charles Williams's Scorpion Reef
(spoiler coming boys and girls), where the narrator tells you his girlfriend committed suicide on the boat out at sea, diving and swimming down and down to never return. This is an event in the book related by the narrator. It isn't related as an off-stage happening.
 Later he admits he lied and she's still on the boat and they've got a plan to sneak back into the world without getting nailed for some serious problems. I gave that a Siskel and Eberts two thumbs down.

miker