Re: RARA-AVIS: The undependable narrator

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2006

My first awareness of the unreliable narrator came with Mordecai Richler's
"Barney's Version". Barney is the narrator reviewing his own life, but the book is published after his death with his son's footnotes pointing out that Barney was descending into the delusions of Alzheimer's disease as he wrote and so his version is unreliable.

I'm not sure that many would consider Richler a crime writer, but most of his books have some element of crime in them, illustrating the temptation and proximity of criminal activity, for ease and necessity.

I very much admired use of the technique in "Motherless Brooklyn", where the narrator's view of events are clearly warped by his own limited experience and the conniving of other characters. But maybe I've got it wrong and that's not a good example of this technique, given that the protagonist goes on to narrate the epiphany that enlightens his earlier naevity.

Regardless, I think use of the admittedly unreliable narrator serves to remind us that all narrators are unreliable one way and another, their tales told from their own, necessarily limited experiences with points-of-view cramped by human foibles and, in the case of Barney, disease. In the end literature is a long history of clumsy groping in a very dark world.

Oh well, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com