RARA-AVIS: Re: My word usage

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, ejgorman99@... wrote:

> Hell, Thomspon shows up somewhere injust about everything I write.
He was one
> of those guys who was a genius without being a particularly good
craftsman
> except for a few books. I only steal the good parts.

Somebody made the same observation about Cervantes. He violates most of the rules taught in Style School (SS), yet he is compelling and, even at his most convoluted and digressive, captivates the reader with his unique voice. Thompson does exactly the same. I think the literary pantheon is full of great writers who would fail the SS test. I still remember a teacher who told me that Faulkner didn't know how to write. Like that... Here in Spain, people keep doing the same with Pí¯Š Baroja, the great Basque novelist. He didn't know how to write, he didn't know how to write... followed, coolly, by "He is Spain's greatest 20th century novelist". It's crazy.

Best,

MrT