RARA-AVIS: Vietnam and hardboiled

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 13 Aug 2006

Ed Lynskey:

> On something else, I wonder how many hardboiled writers came
> out
> of the Vietnam War experience? Didn't Crumley serve there?

Woody Haut discusses this theme in NEON NOIR: alongside Crumley and this Nam novel, FROM COUNT TO CADENCE, he talks about the works of Michael Herr, Tim O'Brien and Newton Thornburg and others. Not everything he talks about is crime fiction, but he suggests they are noir or at least influential to new noir writing of the seventies and eighties. To me, it seemed quite convincing.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com