Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: PI's photostat?

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Aug 2006

--- JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Re your question below:
>
> "Similar to John's question on slang, what exactly is
> the 'photostat' PIs flash when asked to provide some
> ID? I know what a photostat copy is. Does the PI, like
> Lew Archer, then carry on his person a 'copy' of his
> original PI license? Has anyone ever seen a photostat
> PI license (w/o goggling it)?"
>
> In California, at least, licensed PI's don't carry
> either a photostat or any other kind of photocopy of
> their license. They're issued a picture ID,
> certifying that they're a licensed investigator, by
> the State Bureau of Consumer Affairs. The license
> itslef is, I suppose, conspicuously displayed at their
> place of business, as with real estate agents and
> other licensed professionals.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks, Jim. It does. Your remarks now jog my memory of reading in a novel that the original PI license was kept on the office wall (from a PI Lew Archer book or maybe Bart Spicer). It just struck me as odd. You'd never show a police officer a copy of your drivers license. Or a Customs Official a copy of your passport. (Unless you were looking for trouble.)

Ed