RARA-AVIS: Re: PI's photostat?

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Aug 2006

Ed,

Re your question below:

"Similar to John's question on slang, what exactly is the 'photostat' PIs flash when asked to provide some ID? I know what a photostat copy is. Does the PI, like Lew Archer, then carry on his person a 'copy' of his original PI license? Has anyone ever seen a photostat PI license (w/o goggling it)?"

In California, at least, licensed PI's don't carry either a photostat or any other kind of photocopy of their license. They're issued a picture ID, certifying that they're a licensed investigator, by the State Bureau of Consumer Affairs. The license itslef is, I suppose, conspicuously displayed at their place of business, as with real estate agents and other licensed professionals.

Hope that helps.

JIM DOHERTY