Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford's The Difference

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Aug 2006

I had more or less the same reaction to The Difference. I enjoyed it well enough, but nowhere near as much as any of the many other Willefords I've read. I think part of it was that this is the youngest main character I can recall in any of his books. I think Willeford worked better with older, at least more jaded characters. Then again, it might just be that I'm not as fond of (or as aware of, chicken/egg thing there) western lit. I really enjoy film westerns, but just haven't gotten into them on the page.

Just finished James Sallis's Cypress Grove. Another great novel from him. Damn, I like his writing.

Mark