Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Chandler Question

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Jul 2006

Jim wrote:

"I could be wrong, and paperback gurus like Bill may be able to confirm or deny this, but I believe that Ballantine divided TSAM into three different volumes. TROUBLE IS MY BUSINESS . . . PICKUP ON NOON STREET .
. . THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER collected the remaining stories plus the TSAM essay. If memory serves, it seems to me that the intro from the hardback edition of TSAM, from which the "darkness more than night" phrase is derived, was included in the Ballantine edition of either TROUBLE IS MY BUSINESS or PICKUP ON NOON STREET."

I just checked my Ballantine paperbacks of Chandler (where I first read him), and the Intro opens Trouble Is My Business. The Intro is also in the second volume of The Library of America's Chandler collection, Later Novels and Other Writings. The other essays in the book are The Simple Art of Murder (the 1946 version from Haycraft's Art of the Mystery Novel
-- notes say the version in the 1950 Simple Art of Murder anthology is yet another revision of the original, 1944, Atlantic article that incorporates only a few of the revisions for Haycraft), Writers in Hollywood (also from Atlantic), Twelve Notes on the Mystery Story and Notes and English and American Style (both from his notebooks).

Mark