Re: novelizations (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Magnum, P.U.)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 27 Jul 2006

James wrote

"There were several Mannix novels, at least one of which was written by Peter Rabe under a pseudonym, I think. I've read Kane's Peter Gunn novel but don't remember much about it except that I didn't like it very much."

Back when it was on, I read a couple of novelizations of the Robert Wagner TV vehicle It Takes A Thief. Could I possibly remember correctly that at least one of them was written by Gil Brewer? Damn, wish I had held onto them. Or did he write some Man from UNCLE books; I'm pretty sure Michael Avallone did.

"I recall liking Lou Cameron's novel based on the one-season PI series THE OUTSIDER, which starred Darren McGavin. There were novels based on quite a few Sixties series, such as 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6, JOHNNY STACCATO, THE LINEUP, THE FELONY SQUAD, etc. I haven't read many of them, though."

I enjoyed the "original suspense novel" (as it says on the cover, but it's actually three short stories with slight transitions added between them), 77 Sunset Strip. I haven't read the Johnny Staccato novelization I have by Frank Boyd, who someone said is really Frank Kane.

And didn't Stuart Kaminsky do several Rockford novels a few years ago, long after the series, but, I think, before the handful of made-for-TV movies?

Of course, Max Allan Collins has written a whole slew of novelizations.

Mark