Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams

From: ejgorman99@aol.com
Date: 25 Jul 2006

The problem is the estate. We tried to buy a Charles Williams novel for reprint for $1000 and they held firm at $10,000. This was for a book that had been out of print for something like 25 years. I know they've now let at least Hardcase have much better deal deal than that. We'd love to do a pair of his books at Stark House. This is heresy, I know, but I think he was every bit the the equal of Jim Thompson. His sociopaths (who were sometimes his protagonists) were just more socially skilled than Lou Ford. Page for page he was a better writer than JDM, Peter Rabe and (many times) even Malcolm Braly, the Blessed Trinity of Gold Medal.

Ed Gorman