Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Laura and film adaptation

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 25 Jul 2006

miker wrote:

"I have wanted to see the movie for a long time. I've heard it is a classic noir. Noir is many things to different people, but when I read it, I didn't really get a noir feel from it. I got more of a cozy feel from it."

I didn't find the book very (at all?) noir, either, when I read it recently. In fact, I was almost put off by Lydecker's supercilious voice in the opening section (though came to enjoy it somewhat). I think the cop's section was supposed to be hardboiled, but it's esatz at best. He actually came off more hardboiled in Lydecker's section than in his own. I'm not sure I'd call it a pure cozy, but it certainly leaned in that direction.

That said, definitely see the movie. It is a testament to how much difference atmosphere can make.

Mark