Re: RARA-AVIS: No Country for Old Men

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2006

Jason Boog wrote:

As long as McCarthy's style doesn't get on your nerves, you should check it out. No cowboys this time, but his clipped style works perfect in a neo-noir setting. The shootout between drug runners, a hitman, and the protagonist in a Texas motel is worth the price of admission. Anybody else reading with me?

*************** I've read several by Cormac. Although No Country for Old Men was my least favorite, I still liked it. Somebody on this list made a comment about it that really hit home for me. Although the content and mood is undoubtably noir, he stated that the deletion of the protagonist's final showdown was very non-noir. His comment made me realize that the noir guy might be getting flushed down the shitter, but there is often a strong element of glory in it, even if it's sordid. In No Country, McCarthy sorta stole away a significant chunk of that by letting the character go down off stage.

I assume you've read Blood Meridian. Have you seen that a new McCarthy is out in September? It's called The Road. WAHOOO!!

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SktRrD/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM