RARA-AVIS: Re: What's wrong with Magnum?

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2006

Well, I've watched about a hundred episodes over the past year and that was maybe seventy-five too many. It's just that about the time you give up on it, they toss in a watchable episode. Pretty good pilot. Not bad first year. Then everything started turning cute. (A rare exception is an out-for-vengeance tale guest starring Frank Sinatra.) Though Selleck gets older, the character turns younger. And sillier. He whines quite a bit and does some pouting. Most plots get sidetracked by his rants against Higgins, the guard dogs that despise him, permission to use the sports car, playing tricks on his buddies, his cheapness. Then we have John Hillerman showing up in disguises as eccentric relatives of Higgins. And the crime element gets more and more simplistic. There are dream sequence parodies of 40s private eye movies that are mildly amusing. And fantasy episodes dealing with Hawaiian ghost stories and legends that aren't. As the series progresses, only the Vietnam flashback episodes are worth watching, in my opinion. And those tend to be adventure yarns rather than detective stories.

Still, it's not every day a series ends like this one.

Dick Lochte

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/7EuRwD/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM