RARA-AVIS: Re: Sleuth Poll/"America's"

From: mmiano3 ( mark.miano@nbc.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2006

Hey Jim, thanks for the comment...

> I don't think it means CREATED for TV or movies, but
> successful in those mediums no matter where the
> character first appeared. After all, Sam Spade and
> Sherlock Holmes are both on the list.

You are correct. Our sleuths did *not* need to be created for tv or movies, but just have a successful depiction in those mediums.

> And using that gauge, Marlowe more than deserves a
> spot. Eight feature-length movies (including two
> seminal noirs, MURDER, MY SWEET and THE BIG SLEEP),
> two TV-movies, two TV series ought to qualify you.

I responded to this in my earlier posting to John and Bill, and I agree that I think Bogart's depiction of Marlowe was a mistake to not include. However, I disagree that a character should be included on the list because of the number of movies or tv series he or she appeared in.

For example, we didn't include Charlie Chan on the list - even though the character appeared in dozens of movies. We also didn't include Nick & Nora Charles, even though there were six Thin Man movies.
(Just so you know, I love Nick & Nora and wanted them on the list, but again, even within our production team there were many opinions).

> Come to think of it, is Mike Hammer (five feature-or
> four, depending on whether or not you count the many
> incarnations of the Stacy Keach series as one single
> show]) on the list?

Mike Hammer is not on the list. Another difficult decision. We felt the Stacy Keach series was the iconic depiction of that sleuth, but opted for other choices.

Thanks again for the comments.

Mark