RARA-AVIS: Re: Mickey Spillane RIP

From: Douglas G. Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 18 Jul 2006

Mickey Spillane's books and stories have a narrative drive and a rough poetry that made him tremendouly influential.

Late in Spillane's life, two of his fans, Lynn Myers and Max Allan Collins, collected his likttler-known material into 3 books:

Together We Kill, The Uncollected Stories of Mickey Spillane, ed. Max Allan Collins. Waterville, ME: Five Star, 2001.
     1st edition. A very mixed collection. The title story from Cavalier, 1953, is wartime espionage; “The Night I Died” is a prose version by Max Allan Collins of a Mike Hammer radio script from the 1950’s; “I’ll Die Tomorrow” (Cavalier, 1960) is a hitman story; “The Affair of the Dragon Lady” and 2 autobiographical reminiscences are non-criminous; “Hot Cat” is criminous. The most controversial story is the science-fictional crime tale, “The Veiled Woman” (Fantastic, 1952), which Max Allan Collins says was written by the editor of Fantastic, Howard Browne, from a Spillane outline but about which Browne himself (in the introduction to Incredible Ink) gives a circumstantial case that it was entirely ghostwritten without any Spillane input. It reads like a pastiche, even a parody, of Spillane’s excesses.

Primal Spillane, The Early Stories, 1941-1942, ed. Max Allan Collins and Lynn F. Myers, Jr. Brooklyn: Gryphon Books, 2003.
     1st edition. A collection of Spillane’s comic-book fillers – crime, horror, science fiction, adventure, and some detection.

Byline: Mickey Spillane, ed. Max Allan Collins and Lynn F. Myers, Jr.
 Norfolk, VA: Crippen & Landru Publishers, 2004.
     1st edition, both the trade softcover and the signed (by author and both editors) numbered cloth bound, the latter with a CD containing 3 Mike Hammer radio shows. Includes 2 Mike Hammer short stories that were condensed from novels, one Hammer script, one previously unpublished Hammer story from about 1956, 3 comic book adventures of Hammer’s predecessors Mike Lancer and Mike Danger (1942, 1954), and 14 non-fiction articles (1952-1996).

We (Crippen & Landru) were honored to publish Byline: Mickey Spillane.

Doug G.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM