Re: RARA-AVIS: recent finds

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 12 Jul 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Crider" < macavityabc@gmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:24 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: recent finds

> James Reasoner is the go-to guy on Mike Shayne. I think Lynds wrote only
> the lead "novels" in MSMM rather than any of the full-length ones. I was
> under the impression that Robert Terrall did those.
>
> As far as I know, Lionel White didn't write any Nick Carters. Martin Cruz
> Smith wrote a couple, though.
>
> Bill Crider

I was told that Lynds wrote three of the full-length Shayne novels. My best guesses as to which ones are NEVER KILL A CLIENT, TOO FRIENDLY TOO DEAD, and THE CORPSE THAT NEVER WAS. He definitely wrote more of the Shayne novellas in MSMM than anybody else, doing nearly all of them from 1963 through 1970. Chances are that he wrote more words about Shayne than anybody else, even Davis Dresser. (As far as I can tell I'd be fourth on that list, behind Lynds, Dresser, and Robert Terrall.) I've also been told that Ryerson Johnson wrote a few of the full-length Shaynes, a possibility since he collaborated with Dresser on the two Gold Medals published as by "Matthew Blood". I don't which Shayne novels Johnson wrote, though, if indeed he really did.

Lionel White has been credited with collaborating with Valerie Moolman on the Nick Carter novel THE MIND POISONERS. This may well have been a case of White starting the novel, then being fired by Lyle Kenyon Engel (who was still producing the series at the time) and replaced by Moolman, who worked as an editor for Engel and also wrote some of the Nick Carters solo. Her other collaboration on the series was HANOI, which she finished after Engel fired Mike Avallone halfway through the book. That's why I wonder if the same scenario happened with White's book.

Martin Cruz Smith's Nick Carter novels are THE INCA DEATH SQUAD, CODE NAME: WEREWOLF, and THE DEVIL'S DOZEN. For the matter, Dennis Lynds also wrote Nick Carters, as did Gayle Lynds. I can dig up those titles if anybody's interested.

James Reasoner